Pounds to shed

Sunday, January 31, 2010

SKIN



My last trip to South Africa was simply riveting but also very emotional as I was once again confronted to our past. Having lived in South Africa most of my life and being the child of a mixed couple whose marriage was illegal there was always an awareness of what Apartheid consisted of. However, after a visit to the Apartheid museum I found myself overwhelmed by emotions and could not contain my tears. I cried for my ancestors whose land was stolen, I cried for my grand parents who were removed from their homes and relocated in townships, I cried for my mother who suffered many humiliations, but always remained proud, I cried for both my parents whose love was considered immoral and I cried for my country, for all the bloodshed and violence, past and present.

If ever you are in the Johannesburg vicinity, the Apartheid museum is a worthwhile detour. Remembering the past is important so as to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself and hopefully South Africa will move forward.

Ok so I cried, but that's not really what I wanted to discuss. The reason for this post was to discuss a South African film I had the pleasure of watching. The movie SKIN recounts the true story of Sandra Laing, a girl born to white parents but because of her traits was classified as coloured. Her story unfolds and through it we are confronted to the historical and political past of South Africa. A touching and heartbreaking account of how families were separated as a result of absurd and hateful laws. The film is truly well made and stars british actress Sophie Okonedo (Aeon flux, Hotel Rwanda), Sam Neil, Alice Krige, Tony Kgoroge and young Ella Ramangwane.


No comments: